Public Domain from pixabay
Yelp is an online review/advertising site that took the internet by storm so many internet years ago.
It was the place to find reputable reviews for small local businesses in your community. There was nothing quite like on the internet.
Though there are now competing review sites on the internet like Google and Facebook, Yelp still offers a lot of value for those researchers that want to gain a comprehensive view of a business before they shop.
Here are some most fascinating Yelp facts:
- With 184 million reviews worldwide, Yelp helps millions of consumers see which businesses are available in their area and how each one has performed for their clients
- Yelp.com is the 44th most visited website in the US according to Alexa
- Yelp boasts an average of 92 million unique mobile users per month
- Yelp has more than 178 million unique visitors monthly across mobile, desktop and app platforms
- Up to 9% increase in revenue for every new star earned on Yelp
- 45% of customers are likely to check Yelp reviews before visiting a business
- 35% of people searching on Yelp will make a visit to the site they check within 24 hours
Digital PR is starkly powerful today. We need to be out there and not just listen to consumer feedback, but also adapt to it. While acknowledging positive reviews is the obvious step toward building a good reputation for your business, negative ones are not to be dismissed either.
When users are reading your reviews, negative comments will attract attention as a magnet. So it is important that you reply to any complaints, as consumers will closely examine your reaction before hitting the ‘Buy Now’ button or stopping by your place.
Let’s dive deep into the Yelp factsheet.
1. With 184 million reviews worldwide, Yelp helps millions of consumers see which businesses are available in their area and how they rate compared to their competitors.
- A Yelp Nielsen study reveals that 92% of the users make a purchase after visiting the platform.
- The Yelp restaurants category continues to receive the greatest number of reviews on Yelp – 49% of all reviews combined.
- Most reviewed local businesses in 2018 fall into the Restaurants category (19%) closely followed by Shopping and Home & local services’ categories.
Yelp review sites are not only intended for restaurants and shopping reviews – hotel owners can also find them really helpful. 78% of all hotel-related searches on Yelp are non-brand related. Getting a premium position is really what you would need to attract more visitors to your business.
2. Yelp.com is the 44th most visited website in the US according to Alexa.
- The global Yelp traffic puts yelp.com in a leading position in its niche followed by whitepages.com and yellowpages.com.
- 4 out of 5 Yelp users are ready to buy when attempting to visit a Yelp page.
- With 145 million unique visitors per month as of March 2016, Yelp ranks as one of the go-to sites for finding information on local businesses.
How do you decide which review platform to use? There are dozens of Yelp competitors out there. Do your homework and search for the top industry listings in your area. Consider creating a profile in at least a few of the top results from your search. Most importantly, make sure people can find you with ease.
As a business owner, make sure to feature your business on Yelp. That way you also prevent someone else from misrepresenting themselves with your own business name.
3. Yelp boasts an average of 92 million unique mobile users per month.
- 37 million unique mobile users per month accessing the Yelp mobile app for the second quarter of 2019.
- 80% of all searches and 76% of all ad clicks on Yelp made via mobile devices.
- As of June 2019, 72% of all new Yelp reviews were submitted via mobile devices.
Most of the traffic to the platform comes from the mobile version of the website or via desktop users. Yelp’s mobile app makes no exception from the overall trend – the mobile traffic curve is steadily going up and replacing desktop traffic. In 2018, 50% of all internet traffic came via mobile apps.
The Yelp app download stats in Google Play Store alone count over 10 million installs. Apps have become powerful lately.
4. Yelp has more than 178 million unique visitors monthly across mobile and desktop.
(Source: QSR Magazine)
- 77 million unique users per month accessing the Yelp platform via the mobile-optimized website and 62 million – via desktop.
- USA visitors account for 90% of all visitors to the website for the last 30 days.
- As of September 2018, Yelp claims they have 171 million reviews and 69 million monthly desktop users.
While it is true that visitors use the desktop and the mobile Yelp websites more than the mobile app, there’s an emerging trend here. With half of the global internet traffic coming from mobile apps and millions of app downloads, it is a matter of time for Yelp’s mobile app to take the lead.
5. Businesses see an up to 9% increase in revenue for every new star earned on Yelp.
- 846.8 million USD net revenue achieved in 2017, representing 19% growth over 2016.
- Primarily, revenue is generated by the sale of advertising on the website and mobile app to businesses – 91% for 2017 and 97% for 2018.
- By Dec 2018 businesses claimed about 5 million business listing pages on Yelp.
- 942 million USD net revenue achieved in 2018, representing 11% growth over 2017.
As of 2016 Yelp is measuring the local business health using its accumulated data. It has even developed a so-called Yelp Economic Average (YEA) indicator for the task. Among the most sluggish economies here, we have some wealthy areas on the West coast – San Jose, San Francisco, and Portland (OR) while among the thriving ones we see Milwaukee, Honolulu, and Portland (ME).
6. 45% of customers are likely to check Yelp reviews before visiting a business.
- Excellent reviews account for 50% of all reviews in 2019, while 1-star ratings – for 16%.
- 70% of all reviews for 2019 are Recommended and 22% – Not Recommended.
- 7% of all submitted reviews for 2018 has been removed from Yelp as per the company Removal of Reviews policy.
Are you still wondering why you need those reviews?
44% of local businesses say they depend on social media to generate brand awareness, and 41% depend on it to drive revenue. So, if you need to be visible to a certain audience, if you need to raise the popularity of your services. If you need people to talk about you, then you know what to do.
Get on social media, consider key platforms such as Yelp and embrace those reviews – all of them! Negative and positive – it all counts!
Choose to have a social image over hidden identity, pick up the pace of reviews submission, make more friends, take and post more photos. This quick recipe should impact the visibility of your reviews and boost your Yelp ranking.
7. 35% of people searching on Yelp will make a visit to the site they check within 24 hours.
- Visitors spend 3.39 min per day on Yelp’s page.
- Yelp users with a well established social profile are 10 times more prolific in terms of the number of submitted reviews, compared to anonymous reviewers.
Yelpers’ favorite drink for summer 2019 is the Aperol spritz.
It marks a 92% increase in mentions compared to 2018.
There are some new features introduced by Yelp in the last 12 months. Let’s look into some of them:
- A Portfolio allows businesses to showcase projects that they work on and build customer trust.
- A Verified Licence on a business page profile increases customer engagement in terms of clicks, calls, and reviews.
- The Business Highlight functionality allows businesses to choose from over 30 highlights such as vegan-friendly, pets-friendly, number of years in the business, etc.
And the diamond in the crown – the Personalization feature, introduced in Aug 2019. The feature is oriented towards yelpers and allows them to specify their favorite foods, activities, and lifestyle preferences. The application updates in real-time.
Digital PR is having an enormous impact on us as consumers on one side and as providers of services on the other. The bottom line is you need to be out there on social media as much as possible.
Commonly Asked Questions about Yelp Statistics
Q: What is Yelp used for?
A: Whether you are a business owner or customer, Yelp allows you to express your viewpoint by writing reviews, reacting to reviews (as a business owner), creating a profile for your company, planning events or discussing various topics.
Q: How many people use Yelp?
A: As of the end of June 2019, there are 176 million unique users across all channels: mobile app, desktop and mobile website.
Q: How big is Yelp?
A: It’s available in 32 countries, with a total of 942 million USD net revenue for 2018 and over 184 million reviews worldwide.
Q: Who uses Yelp?
A: Small, local business owners, customers looking for a recommendation for places in a certain area, and everyone interested in social media.
Q: How many Yelp apps are there?
A: Yelp has 3 main mobile apps available on all app stores – Yelp: Food and Services, Yelp for Business Owners, and Yelp Stickers.
Q: Why is Yelp successful?
A: Consumers are increasingly influenced by social media when making purchasing decisions and obtaining more points of view. They share feedback from their experience and in turn look to receive feedback from the online community. With Yelp, you are granted this ability.
Q: How do I get more Yelp reviews?
A: Create a well-established social profile, update your profile image, create more reviews, increase your number of friends, post photos.
Q: What countries does Yelp work in?
A: Yelp is available in 32 countries across the world; however, most Yelp users are counted in the US and Canada.
Q: What age group uses Yelp the most?
A: According to the latest Yelp demographics stats, the US Yelp community consists of 3 major age groups with a very close percentage: 33% of users are between 18-34 years of age, 36% – 35-54, and 31% are 55+ years old.
Yelp Fact Sheet
While Yelp was once the site that customers would go to see customer reviews, things have changed drastically in recent years. More customer reviews were posted on both Google and Facebook in 2018. Still, Yelp’s regularly-updated fact sheet showed a few reasons why the site still matters.
- Only 19% of businesses on Yelp are restaurants
- 37 Monthly Active Mobile Users
- 2.2 million ‘request a quote’ delivered every month
It’s clear that contrary to popular belief, Yelp isn’t just for finding places to eat. Plus millions of customers are using Yelp to engage with business owners. So let’s talk about what your business can do to start attracting Yelp users to your business.
Setting Up Your Yelp Listing
The first step to getting more Yelp reviews is setting up a Yelp listing. Here’s how you can do that.
The first step to getting more Yelp reviews is setting up a Yelp listing. Here’s how you can do that.
- Search for your business’s name and address and biz.yelp.com
- Create a Yelp account or sign-in with Google or Facebook.
- Take some time to fill out your business’s information like your name, address and phone number.
Now that you’ve got your Yelp business profile set up, let’s talk about what you can do to make sure that you’re optimizing your Yelp listing.
Best Practices for Yelp Reviews
While most review sites like Google and Facebook encourage customers to solicit reviews, Yelp is one of the few companies that do not encourage review solicitation.
In November 2017, Yelp started penalizing businesses that solicited reviews. This was a controversial decision. After all, collecting reviews has been proven to be a great way to get well-balanced reviews from businesses’ entire customer base. Still, Yelp does not allow businesses to request reviews from customers, in-person or through text and email. Why?
Don’t ever ask your customers for Yelp reviews. Unlike other review sites, Yelp believes that asking customers for reviews leads to bias.
When Yelp’s algorithms spot a violation of their policies, they send your business a strongly worded penalty letter. The letter mentions that they have “…activated a search ranking penalty, demoting your business’s rank in Yelp search results”. They also ask the business to submit a ‘Compliance Verification Form’ once they have fixed the issue on their end. After the business has submitted the form, it may take over 45 days for the Yelp to respond with their verdict.
While you can’t ask your customers to write reviews on Yelp, there are a few things that you can do to look good on Yelp.
Add Accurate Information
Search engines like Google trust your business more when you have your business listing on authoritative sites like Yelp. A listing is defined as three things at a minimum- your business’s name, address, and phone number. When you add accurate information, you’ll make your business easier to find for customers and provide one more citation for Google’s algorithm.
Potential customers on your Yelp listing will stay 2.5x longer if you include a picture. So be sure to take some high-definition photos that really show off your business’s services.
Enable Yelp Features
Yelp offers a few different features that allow customers to better interact with your business. Features like “request a quote” allow customers to send you a direct message asking for pricing. “Yelp deals” allow you to offer your customers special discounts that they can redeem through the Yelp apps. Taking advantage of these features is a great way to interact with customers who discover your business through the Yelp app.
Display Yelp Signage
When your customers visit your physical location, you can encourage them to find you on Yelp with free signage. All businesses are eligible to receive free stickers that say “Find Us on Yelp!” Qualifying businesses are eligible to receive a “People Love Us on Yelp”
Flag Fake Reviews
If you suspect that a review is fake or might violate one of Yelp’s policies, make sure to report it. However, there’s no guarantee that Yelp will actually take one of these reviews down.
Responding to Yelp Reviews
Be sure that you’re responding to all of your customer reviews on Yelp whether they’re positive and negative. After all, customers value review responses.
Yelp gives you two options to respond to customer reviews: with a public comment or a direct message. Always start off with a public comment. Remember, potential customers are looking at reading your reviews. Leaving a public response doesn’t just help your business’s reputation with reviewers, it also helps with your future customers.
When responding to a positive review, be sure to thank the customer for their feedback and encourage them to come back for more. It’s an easy way of engaging your happy customers.
Responding to negative reviews is trickier. Here’s what you should keep in mind.
Take a Deep Breath
When you spend so much time and effort trying to make sure that every one of your customers has a great experience, a bad review can feel terrible. So before you respond to a bad review, take a deep breath. Remember, potential customers are paying attention to the kind of service you provide. No matter how unfair a review might seem, remember to be polite.
Start with a “Thank You”
A “thank you” doesn’t have to be reserved for a positive review. Thank customers for bad reviews as well. After all, a negative review can be an opportunity to get feedback that can help you improve your business.
Take the conversation private
You definitely want to leave a public comment to show your potential customers that you want to get to the bottom of every issue, Of course, to actually resolve the issue, the best move is to take the discussion offline. That means that you can take the time to understand the customer and make a real effort to solve whatever problem that they experienced.